While heating or cooling problems may seem complicated, not all require the help of a heating and cooling expert. Some simple troubleshooting steps may allow you to resolve the issue on your own. Before you call in the pros for the following problems, give these troubleshooting tips a try!
Air Conditioner Troubles
If your air conditioner will not turn on:
• Check your thermostat and make sure it is set to “cool.” Set the temperature below the current room temperature, which should trigger the air conditioner to kick on.
• Check to see that the air conditioner has power. Make sure the switch on or near the exterior unit is turned on. Also, check that the unit has power via the home’s main electrical panel; look to see that the circuit breaker has not been tripped, and reset the breaker if necessary.
If your system isn’t producing cool air while running:
• Frozen coils could be causing this problem. Look for water underneath your exterior air conditioning unit, which could indicate frozen coils. If you find that your coils are frozen, turn off the air conditioner and allow the coils to thaw; this may take up to 24 hours depending on the temperature. Contact your HVAC professional for air conditioner coil cleaning, as debris buildup could be causing this issue.
If your furnace will not turn on:
• Make sure your thermostat is set to heating mode and the temperature is set above the current room temperature.
• Check that the furnace has power. The switch on or near the unit should be set to “on.” Check your breaker box and make sure the breaker supplying power to the furnace has not been tripped; reset if necessary.
• Check to see that the pilot light is lit, if applicable.
If you aren’t receiving adequate heat indoors:
• Check your furnace filter; if it is clogged, air cannot flow effectively through the system and into your home. Replace the dirty filter with a new one, or clean your filter if you have a permanent model and replace it once dry.
If your heating or cooling problem persists even after you’ve tried the troubleshooting tips above, give Nelson Comfort a call for quick and reliable service!