Do you struggle with finding a comfortable temperature inside your Cincinnati home? If your temperature isn’t consistent and you are constantly changing your thermostat setting, the problem may be that your thermostat is giving false temps. Nelson Comfort has some suggestions regarding why Cincinnati residents might be struggling with their thermostat settings.
Bad placement of a thermostat can lead to false readings and prevent your thermostat from telling your HVAC system the correct temperature needed.
- If a thermostat is tucked away in a corner, it could be experiencing extreme highs and lows in temperature.
- Thermostats placed near front doors or garage doors will constantly get drafts from outside that mess with temperature readings.
- Kitchens are warmer due to the heat generated while cooking, so thermostats in a kitchen won’t read well either.
- Exterior walls aren’t ideal places for thermostats either since they are impacted by outdoor temperatures more so than interior walls.
The ideal placement for a thermostat may vary, depending on your home. You want to make sure where you install the thermostat isn’t compromised by drafts from outside or from heat coming directly off your HVAC system, water heater, or other heat-producing appliances. A few options are:
- An interior wall in a room where you or your family spend the most time
- An interior wall that is away from appliances
- If you have a zoning system, there should be one thermostat situated in an ideal location for each zone in the home
In existing homes, the thermostat is already placed for you. If you have new construction happening, you will have more of a say on the placement of your thermostat. Installing or moving a thermostat does cost, but moving your thermostat to an ideal location will improve heating and cooling efficiency and decrease the burden on your HVAC systems through accurate temperature readings, saving you money in the long run.
Get the most out of your thermostat and HVAC system – call Nelson Comfort today! Our NATE-certified technicians pinpoint suitable locations for your thermostat and move it at an affordable price.