Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software

Importance of a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Aug 25, 2015
Heating, Air Conditioning, Geothermal, Electric | Cincinnati | Carbon Monoxide Alarm | Nelson Comfort

In all homes where gas is used, carbon monoxide exposure is a real possibility. Carbon monoxide protectors will alert your family to unsafe levels of this gas, so you can leave the home and seek prompt medical attention if necessary. Read on to learn more about carbon monoxide and why you need detectors in your home.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas which is created when incomplete combustion occurs. Gas furnaces produce carbon monoxide as a byproduct of combustion, and the furnace should be equipped with proper venting in order to expel this gas outside the home; carbon monoxide leaking into the home can be a result of a cracked heat exchanger or other damaged furnace component. Carbon monoxide can also be produced by gas fireplaces, gas ranges, vehicles, and other sources.

Why You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Carbon monoxide exposure can be deadly at high levels; over 400 Americans die each year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. When levels get too high in the home, carbon monoxide poisoning will occur. Carbon monoxide detectors will alert your family of these conditions so you can seek safety and resolve the cause of the issue.

Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. If there was a leak in your home, you would not be able to detect its presence on your own. Carbon monoxide detectors are the only way you’ll be able to know if toxic levels are present in your home.

It is crucial that you test your carbon monoxide detector regularly to ensure it is working. Change its batteries every 6 months, even if they are not dead. You may also choose to have a detector installed that is hard-wired to your home’s electrical system that uses a battery backup in case of a power outage; be sure to check your breakers regularly to ensure your detector has power.

Protect your family by installing carbon monoxide detectors today — call Nelson Comfort for assistance.

About The Author

Dan Detmer
Dan Detmer is the owner of Nelson Comfort. Dan was born into the heating and cooling industry, coming from a family of well respected HVAC contractors in Dayton, Ohio. After working in the family business, Dan decided to work for a local HVAC wholesale business helping local contractors grow their business. When he felt his heart moving him back into the residential and light commercial business, Dan joined the Mortimer Heating & Cooling team in Cincinnati, where he had called home and become part of the community for several years. After a short period of time Dan purchased the company and created what is today, Nelson Comfort. Today he operates a company based on integrity, honesty, and stellar customer service. If you have any questions feel free to tweet (at sign) NelsonComfort and we will get right back with you!
Posted in Heating & Cooling

Leave a Reply