So you just bought a home in the Cincinnati area – congrats, and welcome to our beautiful city! Whether you’re still unpacking or have had time to settle in, one thing on your new home’s to-do list should be to evaluate the heating and cooling systems. Getting to know them will help you best plan for your future and build a comfortable indoor environment in your new abode.
New Home HVAC Do’s
- Do evaluate how well the previous owner cared for your systems. Regular maintenance is essential to keeping heating and air conditioning systems functioning properly; if the former owner did not keep to regular maintenance schedules, you may find performance issues and malfunctions. Try to locate records of service, inspect the system for cleanliness and to see that all components appear to be secure.
- Do find a local contractor who will provide you with annual preventative maintenance. Ask your new neighbors for recommendations or check out local review sites to find an HVAC contractor you can turn to for quality maintenance now, as well as repair and replacement down the road.
- Do change the air filter. If your home was vacant for a long period, chances are it was not changed on a regular basis. Locate the filter compartment and remove the old filter, noting the dimensions. Purchase new replacement filters and install, noting when you’ll need to do so again.
New Home HVAC Don’ts
- Don’t attempt to perform repairs to the system yourself if you do not possess the skills to do so. The last thing you want to do is harm your expensive heating and cooling systems beyond repair! If you’re experiencing performance issues, contact that HVAC pro you located above and schedule a consultation.
- Don’t believe everything your home inspector told you about your heating and cooling systems. Not all home inspectors are knowledgeable regarding comfort system equipment, and while these systems may have appeared to be in good shape at the time of inspection, that may not be so. It is advised to schedule a system inspection with a heating and cooling professional to determine the condition of your systems and identify problems in need of repair before use.
Connect with Nelson Comfort today for quality heating and cooling service you can count on in your new community. We’ll help you address your new home’s heating, cooling, and indoor air quality concerns so you can find comfort and happiness in your new home.