Prevents mold growth
Mold and mildew thrive in moist environments. If the humidity levels in your home are too high, your home becomes an ideal environment for their growth. Mold can damage your home’s structure and cause serious health problems; it is important to take action to control humidity levels in order to avoid mold growth in the home. By installing a dehumidifier, you can keep indoor humidity levels within the appropriate range of 30 to 50 percent all year long, to keep mold growth at bay.
As with mold, moist environments can create an ideal home for many allergens. High moisture levels increase the prevalence of dust mites, pollen, dander, and other common allergens. With a higher concentration of allergens in your home, your symptoms are more likely to be triggered, and occur more often. Dehumidifiers control moisture levels to control indoor allergen levels, providing you with relief from bothersome symptoms such as congestion, rashes, sneezing, watery eyes, and more.
If your home has ever had a musty smell, that’s a tell-tale sign of a moisture problem. This odor is created by mold and mildew, which thrives in moist environments. Your dehumidifier will keep moisture levels in the appropriate range, eliminating this odor.
Improves cooling efficiency
When humidity levels in the home are excessive, the air conditioning system has to provide both cooling and dehumidification to keep your home comfortable. By doing so, the system uses more energy, which costs more and places more stress on your system. Using a dehumidifier is a much more efficient approach to home dehumidification, and will work with your cooling system to keep your home comfortable throughout the summer.