A majority of Cincinnati residents use natural gas to heat their homes and business locations throughout the winter. Gas is often preferred due to the higher temperatures it produces by creating heat through the combustion process. While gas heat is typically quite safe, anytime it is in use, there is a risk of carbon monoxide exposure.
Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of the combustion process used to produce heat; it’s produced when natural gas is not burned thoroughly. Gas furnaces and boilers are installed with a chimney or flue to safely vent carbon monoxide out of the home or business. If the heating system is malfunctioning or the chimney or flue is blocked, excess carbon monoxide can build up in the home.
High levels of carbon monoxide pose a serious risk to all indoors. It is a colorless and odorless gas, so there is virtually no way to detect its presence unless carbon monoxide detectors are installed in the home or building. Exposure to carbon monoxide can produce symptoms resembling the flu, disorientation, confusion, headaches, and nausea. Exposure can also be deadly when carbon monoxide levels are high and a person is exposed ongoing.
Protect against Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Home and business owners should take these proactive steps to keep occupants safe and prevent exposure to carbon monoxide:
- Have your gas heating system tuned-up by a NATE-certified heating technician. The maintenance performed will help prevent carbon monoxide production, and any dangerous issues will be found and repaired.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor or the home or business. Your heating technician will inform you of where the detectors should be placed and how many are needed to best protect your family or workforce.
Exposure to carbon monoxide can be deadly, though it is largely preventable by taking the steps mentioned above. Keep your family, workforce, and customers safe – call Nelson Comfort to schedule a tune-up for your gas heating system, as well as carbon monoxide monitor installation.